This week’s SB Weekly interviewee is Richard Gillis, founder of Unofficial Partner and a sports industry commentator who, as a journalist, has taken a sideways look at the business of sport for around 20 years.
His writing portfolio includes the likes of the Wall Street Journal, The Observer and the Financial Times, and he is a former editor of SportBusiness International magazine.
Richard is also about to release his first book, The Captain Myth: The Ryder Cup and Sport’s Great Leadership Delusion, which looks at the overplayed role leaders and leadership has both in sport and in business more generally.
Download the podcast from Wednesday June 15 to hear Richard talk about:
- The leadership myth - and what it tells us about how fans view sport
- What sports brands and rights-holders can do to tell better stories
- Turning his blog, Unofficial Partner, into a brand consultancy
- Being one of the last people to see Bob Woolmer on the day he died
- An embarrassing moment interviewing Spanish golfer Paula Marti
- Why sports marketing needs to work harder in being more nuanced.